www.crawleydownvillage.co.uk

For the Community of Crawley Down

Skip to content

SKATEPARK in Crawley Down!

Whatever happened to the Skatepark proposal? What is being done for the youth of Crawley Down? what can they do for themselves?

Moderators: Dave Hook, johnp, spwebco, EddieL

Re: SKATEPARK in Crawley Down!

Postby Scribbler on 29 Aug 2008, 23:09

I missed the updates on this section, so apologies that I've left this so long.

Due to the secluded "nature" of the skatepark it has been deemed necessary to have a permanent recording of the area incase there are any "incidents", which, God willing, will never occur.

I cannot imagine anyone in the village objecting to a little of their council tax money being spent on childen's ultimate safety.

Do we need cameras in the woods because of their 'secluded nature''? When will this end?

This 'tax money spent on children's ultimate safety' - where does that end? Daily visits by a social worker for every child? I DO object to my hard earned taxes being spent on more CCTV dressed up as some sort of necessity for the safety of children and DON'T accept that there is enough likelihood of an incident to merit one.

To me, this is money spent on needless nosiness.

More coming soon, I've no doubt :roll: .
Scribbler

Postby Silver Fox on 30 Aug 2008, 21:35

Quite agree Scribbler this country of ours is rapidly becoming (or is already) the 'nannified' state of Europe where children are so cossetted these days that they are unable these days to live and enjoy themselves as they did 50 yrs ago without these dam cctv cameras following there every move.

When we were kids we lived by the 'sword' and fought our own battles unlike the present generation whom are not allowed out of 'house vision' without your 'elf 'n' safety' sticking there big snouts in where not required, for christs sake (sorry vicar) let the kids express themselves without all this 'crap' following there every move.

Stand up all as one and fight this continuing technology that continually blights our lives and tell the local councils just where to to put there latest technology, preferably where the 'sun doesn't shine'!

PS Wheres Andrew these days?
Silver Fox
You're a diamond

Postby andrew on 30 Aug 2008, 21:46

Thanks for asking SF but we've been away in deepest Kent. Back today though and 'rarin' to go, particularly on the Skate Park topic where I believe 'porkies' have been told regarding who paid for what! Have to be careful though,------ laws of libel and all that !
andrew
You're a diamond

Postby andrew on 31 Aug 2008, 09:30

I make no apologies for harping on about this topic it is our money after all and despite Squiffy's enquiries at the CDRA,all is not yet crystal clear as to who actually paid for the new skate park.
Although we have been assured that no taxpayers money was used. Mid Sussex Matters the official PR magazine of MSDC, would seem to disagree. in that Garry Wall, Cabinet Member for Leisure and Outdoor Services says,
" I would like to thank WPC which invested a great deal of time and money in this project" !
The plot seems to thicken, they can't really blame the popular press this time.
andrew
You're a diamond

Postby andrew on 03 Sep 2008, 19:00

As there has been a stoney silence regarding answers to my query regarding the exact funding of our local skatepark, I researched a lttle myself.
Yesterday I phoned the Editor of Mid Sussex Matters, who promised to call me back if she obtained the information. Sure enough this morning, there was a representatve from MSDC on the line with some figures. Yes he said, The Big Lottery Fund provided £20,000 or so to the kitty, and Worth Parish Council a further £11,000.
These figures would seem to fly very much in the face of all that we have been given to believe , namely that no taxpayers money has been used to fund this project.
It seems a pity too that such a relatively small sum appears to have been cloaked in such degrees of secrecy by the powers that be , a fact that will do little for the confidence of the extraordinary numbers of Council Tax Payers who the figures show have been viewing all correspondence on this particular topic. Something perhaps to remember at the next election .
andrew
You're a diamond

Postby Dave Hook on 03 Sep 2008, 20:14

Still wrong Andrew, the defunct youth club donated £2000 of the funds!
Have you asked how much money came from the Airport Noise fines fund? Have fun researching that one!
Dave Hook
Moderator & Site Admin

Postby squiffy2 on 04 Sep 2008, 08:12

Andrew, I only passed on, in good faith, what was told to the CDRA at one of our meetings by Councillor Walker, when I asked the same question. You asked the question and I passed on what we were told.

If these figures are correct, when infact they aren't as David pointed out £2000 came from the Youth Club Comittee, then it is something you need to take up with WPC - maybe you could attend one of their meetings and ask THE question?

cheers

squiffs :D
squiffy2
You're a diamond

Postby andrew on 04 Sep 2008, 21:57

It is absolutely crucial in a democracy, that those who pay must know exactly the cost of everything to which they subscribe. Until they do, they are quite naturally unable to make any judgements as to the rights or wrongs of their new aquisition, ----- and by inference their trust in those to whom gave the right to make that judgement.
In this case there appears to be quite a difference of opinion as to whether or not taxpayers money is involved,
and alhough in this particular instance the amounts are possibly at a 'storm in a tea-cup level', the principles involved are none the less important.
I have obtained , and published in a previous message, a set of figures which would seem to negate virtually everything said so far regarding taxpayers lack of involvement, and would naturally be interested to hear comments to the contrary,, ------ as no doubt would be the huge numbers of people who seem to be following this discussion .
andrew
You're a diamond

Postby squiffy2 on 05 Sep 2008, 14:41

I think the only way you will get the exact figures is by either writing to WPC or attending one of their meetings and asking the question, Andrew.
squiffy2
You're a diamond

Postby Sue Bicker on 05 Sep 2008, 16:51

Andrew, I'm not entirely sure what your objection is to money being spent for the community. That is why we have municipal authorities; for providing services. The children are an important sector of our Village and deserve to be recognised as such.
Several organisations have financially supported the skatepark and as far as I know no council money was paid.
What I do know is that the Monday Club got a nice allotment from Worth Parish Council just before Christmas. I think it was a wholly appropriate gesture but there may be those who disagree with me.
Life is a circus.
Sue Bicker
You're a diamond

Postby Silver Fox on 05 Sep 2008, 17:55

Sue, what we all want to know is how much this 'White Elephant' might cost us when next years Council Tax bills drop thro the letterbox especially at the present economic situ.

As we all know these 'fads' can become 'yesterdays playthings' and no doubt could be left to rot, and become a graffiti strewn obelisk for man to muse over.
Silver Fox
You're a diamond

Postby squiffy2 on 05 Sep 2008, 18:42

As I keep banging on, the only way you will get the answers you want is to ASK Worth Parish Council, no amount of jumping up and down on here will illicit a response from them as they are not allowed (as I understand) from participating in this sort of forum - why I have no idea, but all you need to do is go along to the next WPC Meeting and ask the question.........................................

As there seems to be some "debate" on what the figures actually were, it seems logical to go and ask, but maybe people just like to expend hot air on here to cause mischief?

As to the Skatepark being a white elephant, it has been probably the MOST used village facility of the summer, I cannot see any reason why it would not continue to be (apart from the awful weather).

I would rather see my hard earned council tax going to help both the young and old in the village than being wasted on council junkets etc, and I think we can safely agree that WPC does a fine job in allocating funds to village organisations etc.
squiffy2
You're a diamond

Postby andrew on 05 Sep 2008, 22:45

Sue, my objections are not about the usage of public money in general, but about finding out the actual amounts of it being used for individual projects such as the Skatepark. Until the bill for us taxpayers is clearly and unequivecably announced, we are unable to make a judgement as to the worth of what we have just purchased. Do you regard this as unreasonable ?
To Squiffy, I would say that for a man who can suppose that there is even the faintest possibility of such a thing as a 'council junket' , the labelling of a few queries regarding the proper usage of taxpayers money as 'mischief making ' has to be nonsense.
andrew
You're a diamond

Previous

Return to What is there for the youth of Crawley Down