www.crawleydownvillage.co.uk

For the Community of Crawley Down

Skip to content

The Bosses and the Workers

Do you worry about the onslaught of the Big Brother Society. Express your worries here.

Moderators: Dave Hook, johnp, spwebco, EddieL

The Bosses and the Workers

Postby Sue Bicker on 11 Mar 2010, 09:04

Now if they tried to implement this Japanese system here I think it would be time to seriously protest.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8559683.stm

It has to be contrary to human rights. Who wants their boss to know when they go to the loo?
Life is a circus.
Sue Bicker
You're a diamond

Re: The Bosses and the Workers

Postby TimLeader on 11 Mar 2010, 09:36

Well, it can be argued that a similar system is already in operation here in the UK, albeit covertly. Your every move is currently tracked using information gathered from the mobile phone network. The Police (or anyone with access to these records) can at any time see exactly where you have been, the only pre-requisite of course is that your phone is switched on at the time.

Agreed, it's not quite as invasive as the scheme in the article, but tracking is already here and has been for some time so it doesn't really come as too much of a shock to me!
TimLeader
Platinum Community Menber

Postby Ray on 15 Mar 2010, 14:21

If my boss wants to know when I go for a tom-tit, I am happy to tell him. I somehow doubt he will welcome the information, though!
Ray
Gold Community Member

Postby Silver Fox on 15 Mar 2010, 17:54

Sue Bicker wrote:Now if they tried to implement this Japanese system here I think it would be time to seriously protest.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8559683.stm

It has to be contrary to human rights. Who wants their boss to know when they go to the loo?

You saying that Sue but.......Knowing how placid this country of ours is like, it would be quite in keeping to except this latest possible piece of technology and just 'sit back' and except same, without even a blink of an eyelid a few plaintiff cries perhaps, but BB heads would quickly trample on the minions, squash the protesters and push ahead with their latest piece of invasive technology without a whimper 'to boot'.

Could i mention petrol, today i noticed price still mounting and more to come, any headlines any 'banging of drums' not a whimper, the silence is deafening need one say any more! :(
Silver Fox
You're a diamond

Postby sarah on 14 Mar 2011, 12:23

Big brother can't get me this way. No mobile here :D

Silver Fox wrote:Could i mention petrol, today i noticed price still mounting and more to come, any headlines any 'banging of drums' not a whimper, the silence is deafening need one say any more! :(

There's a campaign on facebook and some grumbling, apparently one chap had to go on a course to find out thats its a good idea to service your car, check tyre pressures, take the roof rack off and drive smoothly. Amazingly he saving 1/5 th of his petrol. Although he forgot to mention that he had in fact been wasting 1/5th for years.

Management obviously because they then took the radical step of driving less.

Last of all you'll get arrested if you protest in any real way so why bother...... :(
sarah
Gold Community Member

Postby TimLeader on 14 Mar 2011, 12:36

I really don't think any of us need demonstrate at all...

Petrol prices will have a knock-on effect regardless of any protests. Situations like this are generally self-regulating. What I suspect will happen is that as petrol rises, sales of higher-end cars will fall. This will initiate pressure from car manufacturers on the Goverment citing job losses and impact on the economy. If nothing is done, fuel prices will eventually start to adjust to a sensible level accordingly.

Look at house prices for example - Banks and Mortgage companies continued to lend ridiculous amounts of cash to house buyers pushing property prices ever higher and higher. No thought was given to the consequences, and warnings were dismissed by the financial market as scaremongering,

Property prices continued to reach such a point that it became virtually impossible for first time buyers to join the ladder and keep the market moving. The balance was tipped, the finance industry all but collapsed, house prices fell like a stone, and even now nearly three years on from the collapse, they are still falling.
TimLeader

Postby Scribbler on 14 Mar 2011, 20:34

Why is this any more of a human rights issue than putting up cameras around the village and allowing the public to come onto this forum to view them? It's all about spying on other people......

The idea has the support of some on here. Look at 'just conversation - CCTV yobbery outside the shops' or similar - in fact some comments are one year old today.

I think there are far too many people in this country who want to see their own petty prejudices imposed on everyone around them and I wish they'd all get on the next boat to somewhere else or shut up and mind their own business. Nothing but two-bob fascists. Employers get special opportunities for this sort of drivel and it's only because we don't all walk out that they get away with it.

If you are asked to accept one of these devices, I suggest you drop it down the toilet, where it belongs.

As for petrol prices; it's running out. It will only get more expensive. Wikileaks showed that the US doesn't believe the Saudis have the stocks they say they have. If you want to protest about petrol; walk, cycle or ride a horse.
Scribbler

Postby AlanB on 16 Mar 2011, 08:11

Scribbler wrote:Why is this any more of a human rights issue than putting up cameras around the village and allowing the public to come onto this forum to view them? It's all about spying on other people......

I suppose because it could be a form of blackmail - use this or don't have a job etc. we're deducting £xx from your pittance this week because you only emptied y bins... An almost entirely unchallengeable assessment of a cleaners performance, backed by unproven algorithms.

You'll note that the activities mentioned in the article are all "menial" tasks associated with minimum wage and workers with little practical alternative to putting up or shutting up. Walking out is not an option for many. This will be attractive, because it will allow cleaning firms and the like to cut staff.

If you don't like the idea of being tracked then don't carry a mobile, especially not a smart phone with GPS etc.
AlanB
You're a diamond

Postby Sue Bicker on 16 Mar 2011, 08:51

I wonder if they have been able to use this technology, during the current disaster, to find individuals.
Life is a circus.
Sue Bicker
You're a diamond

Postby AlanB on 16 Mar 2011, 09:10

Sue Bicker wrote:I wonder if they have been able to use this technology, during the current disaster, to find individuals.

I doubt it.

Firstly the phone has still got to be working and, to be of any use, near the person concerned. If they find a live phone using remote location there is no guarantee that there will be someone with it. Without a GPS enabled phone, the technique requires triangulation (more than one cell tower with reception). The scale of the disaster would also prevent this being a viable technique - the massive numbers involved, a lot of the cell towers could well be down and the nature of the terrain would probably imply that location could only be performed to one village.
AlanB
You're a diamond

Postby TimLeader on 16 Mar 2011, 09:23

Agreed. Triangulation is not very accurate at all. It currently claims that I am by Three Bridges station when I'm actually nearly a mile away from there!
TimLeader

Return to Big Brother Worries