www.crawleydownvillage.co.uk

For the Community of Crawley Down

Skip to content

Revamp and relaunch of website

Please use this section for your comments about how we can improve the Forum. All ideas will be read and the moderators and management team will implement ideas that we think to be of merit.

Moderators: Dave Hook, johnp, spwebco, EddieL

Revamp and relaunch of website

Postby sarah on 14 Sep 2010, 16:44

Is there going to be a revamp for the website and relaunch for 2011?

I know its a whole load of work but this site could be great for Crawley Down. It would be nice to have a stall at the Fayre to advertise the site too. If you can get internet access off someones wireless we could even sign people up 8)

I suggested this in an e-mail in response to a survey about use and lack of use of the site. But it was a week before the Fayre and thats a bit tight!

As a quick example the calender could be colour co-ordinated ie Green for Allotments or maybe logos?

What would everyone else like to see?
sarah
Gold Community Member

Re: Revamp and relaunch of website

Postby spwebco on 14 Sep 2010, 17:47

Thanks for your comments, but - Oh dear! We have had a stall at the Fayre for the past FIVE years and seemingly you did not see us. That is a worry.

This year we had two laptops at the Fayre one of them with internet access - not through someone's wireless. We also had a "guess the weight of the cake" competition organised by our friend the Mad Hatter.
IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2407.jpg (131.59 KiB) Viewed 3250 times

We most certainly received your e-mail and yes, tight it would have been - particularly as we are also heavily involved with the running of the Fayre. We have had a few comments and will be reviewing them and acting on them in the near future. However, don't forget that all the work done on the website (which we had not asked about) and the Forum (which was what we were canvassing about) has to be done in our spare time.

I should correct you a little Sarah, we have no problem with the usage of the site - the number of visits to the site is mostly about 3500 to 4000 per month, what we are trying to encourage is greater use of the forum.

Rest assured, we are working on this.
For all your website requirements, PC repairs, IT support, spyware and malware removal - http://www.spwebco.com
spwebco
Moderator & Site Admin

Postby sarah on 15 Sep 2010, 22:38

Oh crikey gone to the Fayre at least 3 times and never spotted you..... But your biggest sign seems to be for a little bit of gambolling for foodstuffs, based on the photo you'd be hard put to see what the stall was for, if you compare that to allotment association or royal british legion who had a great response to their stalls.

Nice costume though....

About the spare time bit I know the feeling :wink: you could 'theme' the website for the fayre.....or maybe not.....some sort of web based competition could encourage people to try the site. Q&A one or maybe a treasure hunt style one, hide the 'treasures' around the site?

Have the other bits been changed recently? News seems much more up to date than I remember or is that me? Photos of the Fayre are great too, a lovely day for everyone.

Can you see how many users for the site as well as hits? 100+ hits per a day isn't bad :)
sarah
Gold Community Member

Postby spwebco on 16 Sep 2010, 14:51

We are discussing matters of visibility of the stall for next year. It all sort of caught up with us this year and took us a bit by surprise. Odd really because we knew the date of the Fayre a year ago.
For all your website requirements, PC repairs, IT support, spyware and malware removal - http://www.spwebco.com
spwebco
Moderator & Site Admin

Postby TimLeader on 17 Sep 2010, 09:53

With regard to the site and the lack of forum visitors, would it be an idea to make the forum link stand out more? Currently it is fairly hidden away in the side navigation bar somewhere near the bottom. My suggestion would be to give it prominance at the top of the home page, listing the current 'active topics' so visitors can see at a glance the hot topics of the moment. This should, in theory, encourage them to at least read what is going on which in turn should increase the chance of some further interraction.

Just a thought ...
TimLeader
Platinum Community Menber

Return to Comments for Suggestions for Improvement of the Forum